Learn how Victrex manages their retail production environment with AXtension® solutions.
Watch the recording of our sponsor session at the Microsoft Convergence 2014 EMEA in Barcelona.
With over 30 years of experience, Victrex is a market leader specializing in designing lighter, quieter and more efficient metal replacement solutions, i.e. high performance PEEK-polymeric solutions.
For example, 75% of a vehicle’s fuel is lost to inefficiency, most of it caused by frictional losses. Replacing cast iron gears with Victrex solutions has led to a 78% reduction in the moment of inertia, reducing energy loss and increasing fuel efficiency. The entire driving experience is improved with the reduction in noise. Manufacturing costs and delivery time in the aerospace industry are also drastically reduced. Using their strategic skillset to shape future performance, Victrex is uniquely positioned to understand and appreciate how the diverse benefits offered by AXtension solutions can influence their bottom line.
James Fleming, MVP is the Group IT Director of Victrex and a member of the Microsoft Dynamics Advisory Board (ERP/CRM).
- 650 employees worldwide.
- All manufacturing is UK-based.
- Listed on the London Stock Exchange with a market capitalization of £1.5 billion.
- Global high-performance polymer solutions provider.
- Serves 30+ geographies worldwide.
- Strategic markets of: automotive, aerospace, energy & industrial, electronics and medical.
- 70.000+ items in stock.
- Serves a number of industries including: mining, manufacturing, water and wastewater, infrastructure, commercial buildings, pulp, paper and timber, processing plants, oil and gas, and food and beverage.
REQUIREMENTS AND GOALS
Victrex needed to streamline their organization in three main areas to achieve specific business goals and objectives:
- Simplify their complex IT landscape.
- Standardize their process.
- Achieve easier maintenance.
- Adopt customer demands more quickly.
- Stay ahead of the competition.
- Support business growth.
- Support growth without hiring more resources.
- Reduce the stored inventory.
- Reduce manufacturing costs.
The decision to go with Microsoft Dynamics AX was made based on James Fleming’s previous experience with Microsoft Dynamics AX and the desire to have one single partner for their complete solution. IBRL was a partner with whom James had a proven track record and they also knew that the AXtension solutions provided enhanced process and procedural functionality that they required. James used conferences such as the Microsoft Convergence to investigate the entire range of options and finally decided on three AXtension offerings: AXtension® Invoice Processing, AXtension® Enterprise Content Management and AXtension® Visual Planning.
Advantages and goals of the solutions
The Victrex invoice approval process was mainly manual with no integration. However, AXtension® Invoice Processing provides key functionality that meets the following requirements:
- 2,500 invoices processed every month in the UK.
- Four different standard invoice approval processes in one location.
- Use of colors provides status and due-date information.
- Matching improvements as coupling with OCR.
- Invoice totals tolerances improvement.
AXtension® Enterprise Content Management provides document control functionality that is crucial to Victrex due to regulatory requirements, including:
- Leveraging of the rich SharePoint document management functionality available in Microsoft Dynamics AX.
- Ability to retrieve role-based documents.
- Microsoft Dynamics workflow provides document approval.
- Key Collaboration on a company, enterprise and global level.
- Key collaboration with non-AX users.
AXtension® Visual Planning has a somewhat familiar interface. “What we’re looking to get out of this is, for example, when we’re looking at a new product and we’re trying to get momentum behind a new product that we’re going to be developing, how can we actually first of all cost this, and then plan it and use projects within Microsoft Dynamics AX and get it into a much better shape than we had before. This tool is really going to lift us on that and really give us some good momentum in that area.” said James. He continued, “We think there’s lots of growth for this and we think it’s going to be a real success for us.” Visual Planning for Production delivers:
- Rough cut capacity planning.
- Fine scheduling on resource level for production orders, consuming raw materials, booking resource and time.
- Fine scheduling on resource level for maintenance work.
- Optimized scheduling for setup reduction.
- Full project integration.
ADVANTAGES OF AXTENSION AS AN ISV
“It’s been a really great experience that we’ve had with these guys.” James continued. “With the training they provide to our partner, IBRL can then deploy it in the best way possible within our business. They are always on the end of the phone and very easy to get in touch with to help, and really want to make it work. That whole collaboration’s been fantastic. To the end user, nobody’s got any idea that it’s a different solution at all and that’s really important to me. Companies such as AXtension, with a large breadth of products, are key.” The main advantages of the collaboration include:
- High level of engagement from the first interest.
- Collaboration is key – working with their UK partner (IBRL).
- Fully integrated within Microsoft Dynamics AX – to the end user it is out-of-the-box Microsoft Dynamics AX.
- Happy to work with Victrex on changes to the AXtension standard product.
The AXtension suite has the following global rollout plan within Victrex:
Q4 2014/Q1 2015
James sums up his testimonial by stating, “We’re starting to reap the benefits of the products and it’s been a great experience so far. Certainly as a business and for solving business problems, I think these solutions are a great addition to Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012R3. They really do enhance the product and are really worth while having a look at if you have some of the challenges that we have.”